where is the MacPorts gcc?

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat May 4 06:58:52 UTC 2024

On May 3, 2024, at 23:12, Kenneth Wolcott wrote:

> I think "mp" means multiple precision...

The "mp" suffix in gcc file names means "MacPorts". This is anachronistic now but it made sense back when gcc was included in Xcode. We wanted the executable "gcc-4.2" to mean Apple's fork of gcc-4.2 from Xcode even if the user had installed the gcc42 port (since Apple's fork supported things most users expected, like support for -arch flags) so we added the "mp" suffix to ours to differentiate them.