py-skyfield depends on both cython and cython-devel

Kevin Horton kevin01 at kilohotel.com
Sun Dec 17 16:36:56 UTC 2023

Thanks for the info.  The current situation is quite unsatisfactory as it imposes significant complication for the typical user who likely needs several different packages, some of which depend on cython and some on cython-devel.  In the specific cases of py-skyfield and py-astropy, if I understand correctly, they depended on cython until the most recent major update to py-astropy.

Would it be possible to have both py-astropy and py-astropy-devel packages?  py-astropy would be the last version that was compatible with cython, and py-astropy-devel would be the newer version that requires cython-devel.  Similar thing with py-skyfield.

Thanks,

Kevin