Keeping local modifications

Blair Zajac blair at orcaware.com
Mon Oct 23 14:48:11 PDT 2006

Daniel J. Luke wrote:
> On Oct 23, 2006, at 12:44 PM, Blair Zajac wrote:
>> This partly goes to the discussion I raised about default revisions of 1:
>>
>> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-dev/2006-October/000095.html
>>

>> But it would be nice for the precedence be done by (version, revision)
>> tuple and not by location of the Portfile, so you can have local
>> modifications be outdated when a new official port comes out.
>
> Except that the new 'official' port (probably) won't have whatever local
> changes in it that were important enough for you to set up a local port.

Not true.  What I commonly do is build the local port, say for the new Python
2.4.4 that just came out, tweak the port and any patches to get it working, then
submit the patch into Trac.  Then hopefully, my local port becomes the official
port.

It's very rare that I have any local changes in my ports that I wouldn't want to
see or would be inappropriate for all MacPorts users.

Regards,
Blair