Keeping local modifications

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Mon Oct 23 16:41:40 PDT 2006

On Oct 23, 2006, at 5:48 PM, Blair Zajac wrote:
>> Except that the new 'official' port (probably) won't have whatever
>> local changes in it that were important enough for you to set up a
>> local port.
>
> Not true.  What I commonly do is build the local port, say for the
> new Python 2.4.4 that just came out, tweak the port and any patches
> to get it working, then submit the patch into Trac.  Then
> hopefully, my local port becomes the official port.
>
> It's very rare that I have any local changes in my ports that I
> wouldn't want to see or would be inappropriate for all MacPorts users.

Then it seems to me that a local repository is not what you want.

The way I do it is to point macports to a svn (or svk) checkout.

I don't get 'port sync' anymore, but I do get easy access to revision
control (and port sync could probably be patched to do 'svn up' if
you really wanted it to).

--
Daniel J. Luke