1.4.1 release

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Tue Apr 10 09:03:57 PDT 2007

	Guys! Discussion on the 1.4.1 seems to have stalled, so I'm going to 
make a proposal to get things moving forward and out of the current 
deadlock: I say we release 1.4.1 now with however small a delta the 
release_1_4 branch currently holds with respect to the 1.4.0 release, 
and work on further integrating trunk code (at least some of it) into 
the branch for upcoming 1.4.2, 1.4.3, etc releases.

	The existing delta is admittedly small, you can check it out with the 
following command:

svn log -v -r23220:HEAD 
(if anyone knows how to get the same output through trac's source 
browser, please enlighten me!)

	But it contains two or three important bug fixes I believe we should 
get into people's hands quickly. I'll be updating the ChangeLog as soon 
as possible. This should be a painless, simple and quick release, which 
we would be put out only in the form source tarballs and selfupdate; 
binary pkg installers and archive tags/tarballs (full svn repo) are 
left for major releases only (1.4.0, 1.5.0, etc, thus cutting on the 
time it takes us to produce a release).

	If we happen to work fast on trunk and a release branch (mainly with 
respect to testing), maybe we could even cut release_1_5 sooner than 
expected and get all the nifty beef only in trunk at the moment into 
people's hands soon, and that sounds like a plan! So, please, anyone 
interested in having all the features in trunk go mainline (I know I am 
interested!), you can at least help in getting usability reports in. 
Also looking at the "MacPorts 1.5" and "Needs developer review" 
milestones up at the project roadmap 
(http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/roadmap) would help. Should 
we cut a release_1_5 branch now and start preparing it for prime time? 
Do we want to work on trunk a bit more before starting a new cycle? 
Please feel free to weigh in with your opinions!

	Back again on 1.4.1, if I don't get any feedback within, say, two 
days, I'll tag a release candidate based on the current state of the 
branch and work my way toward a release from there. Speak up if you 
feel there's any glaring omission in the code base.

	Regards to all,...


PS: I created a "MacPorts 1.4.1" milestone not long ago, but most of 
the tickets that were fixed for it are currently assigned to the 1.4 
milestone. I'll work on correcting that to accurately reflect the state 
of 1.4.1 in trac.

More information about the macports-dev mailing list