selfupdate with GNUstep

Yves de Champlain yves at macports.org
Mon Aug 13 08:44:53 PDT 2007

Le 07-08-13 à 10:42, Anders F Björklund a écrit :

> Yves de Champlain wrote:
>
>>> Can we source {/usr,/usr/local}/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/
>>> GNUstep.sh,
>>> as part of the "selfupdate" target, so that it works without
>>> configuration ?
>>> ("gnustep-base" is required to provide Foundation, for the
>>> tclobjc1.0 module)
>>
>> Might as well include $prefix/GNUstep/System/Library/Makefiles/
>> GNUstep.sh
>
> You mean the MacPorts prefix (/opt/local) ? How would that work ?
> I'm trying to bootstrap the _initial_ MacPorts installation here.

OK, it's just that the email's subject is selfudate so i thought that
left room for add-ons

>>> PS. Ironically enough, GNUstep is not support on Darwin OS...
>>> But it works out of the box on FreeBSD and most Linux distros.
>>> For now I just set it up as part of the MP installation package.
>>
>> What do you mean, it is not supported on Darwin ?  The gnustep
>> startup package supports Darwin and MP has ~ 35 gnustep ports.
>> People from gnustep were very collaborative at this, BTW.
>
> Maybe it's just me then, as I couldn't get Startup to work ?
>
> Maybe I missed a requirement or two, I usually got those through
> DarwinPorts but that didn't really work when bootstrapping...
> Although I guess I could have installed an older DarwinPorts
> version, and used that to bootstrap MacPorts 1.5 with ? :-)
>
> Does it work on Darwin 8.0.1 too, or only on Darwin 7.0.1 ?

I think startup is supposed to work with Darwin 7 but I never used it
(MP is so much better :-).  MP gnustep was not tested on Darwin OS
because I was never able to get X11 running on Darwin 8.0.1 with my
iMac (it runs but screen is black) but it runs quite well in 10.4
(aside from the runtime restrictions, which mostly means no OpenGL)

>> I also think it is not so ironic because it happens that the two
>> objc runtimes don't live well with one another, especially since
>> MacOS X 10.4 broke the way the gnu objc runtime worked on 10.3.
>
> Why would you have two runtimes on Darwin OS / "puredarwin" ?
> If I did have the Apple library, I wouldn't need the GNU one.

I read MacOSX where it was written Darwin ... I guess then the
gnustep ports should run even better in Darwin, with OpenGL support.

>> On the other hand, most Cocoa programmers just don't care about FOSS.
>
> I guess if they did, they would be using OpenStep instead...
> And the same probably goes for most Mac OS X users as well.
>
> --anders

Yes, but cocoa developers could see a way to easily port their apps
to other platforms.

yves