selfupdate with GNUstep

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Mon Aug 13 09:12:17 PDT 2007

Yves de Champlain wrote:

>> You mean the MacPorts prefix (/opt/local) ? How would that work ?
>> I'm trying to bootstrap the _initial_ MacPorts installation here.
>
> OK, it's just that the email's subject is selfudate so i thought that
> left room for add-ons

Well, I've installed MacPorts 1.4.0/1.5.0 from packages - using the
regular tarball and some extra patches/setups step that are needed.
And that works, just that when later trying to do "selfupdate" - it
breaks since those extra setup steps (such as GNUstep.sh) are missing.

But I can install MacPorts 1.4.42 and 1.5.2 from tarballs too,
so it's not *that* big a deal - even if somewhat annoying. :-)

>> Does it work on Darwin 8.0.1 too, or only on Darwin 7.0.1 ?
>
> I think startup is supposed to work with Darwin 7 but I never used it
> (MP is so much better :-).  MP gnustep was not tested on Darwin OS
> because I was never able to get X11 running on Darwin 8.0.1 with my
> iMac (it runs but screen is black) but it runs quite well in 10.4
> (aside from the runtime restrictions, which mostly means no OpenGL)

I'll give it a another whirl next time then, but maybe it's easier
to install DarwinPorts 1.3 and just install GNUstep from there...
Don't really care about Darwin anymore, since it isn't 100% same
as Mac OS X and since FreeBSD works much better out of the box.

>> Why would you have two runtimes on Darwin OS / "puredarwin" ?
>> If I did have the Apple library, I wouldn't need the GNU one.
>
> I read MacOSX where it was written Darwin ... I guess then the gnustep
> ports should run even better in Darwin, with OpenGL support.

I seem to recall it having a problem with the Apple GCC compiler,
so probably need to build a FSF GCC first in order to compile it.

Ironically I have only been able to run Darwin on Windows, though.
For some reason it just doesn't want to play nice with Parallels.

>>> On the other hand, most Cocoa programmers just don't care about FOSS.
>>
>> I guess if they did, they would be using OpenStep instead...
>> And the same probably goes for most Mac OS X users as well.
>
> Yes, but cocoa developers could see a way to easily port their apps to
> other platforms.

Then again the number running GNUstep (or any other OpenStep) is
probably small, compared even to number of GNOME or KDE desktops ?

I'm using wxWidgets instead, even if it means suffering C++ ...
(for portable apps that is, otherwise one had better use Cocoa)

--anders