[27700] trunk/dports/devel/distract/Portfile

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Mon Aug 13 20:52:02 PDT 2007

Boey Maun Suang <boeyms at macports.org> writes:
>> I'm afraid that I haven't given much thought to committer docs yet.  I
>> suppose it might fit okay in the MacPorts Project section, but I'm not
>> completely sure it belongs in the guide and not on the Wiki.  I'm
>> not sure
>> I like that in the guide, but as I said I haven't really thought
>> about it
>> much.  I can't recall whether there was any discussion on this in
>> the past.
>
>In my opinion, the fundamental committer documentation should not be
>on the wiki, as it should be just as stable and "official" as the
>user documentation.  I don't mind, however, if we have it separated
>from the user guide.
>
>As for discussion of this, I'm pretty sure there has been, but I
>haven't the time just now to look at it.

Yeah that makes sense, I just hadn't thought about it yet.  Sounds fine in
the guide unless you think it better external.

>As I'm supposed to be
>helping you lead the documentation project, Mark, I'd be happy for
>you to leave leading committer documentation to me.  (I haven't made
>many commits recently partly because of business, and partly because
>you're working on it faster than I could and I've been quite happy
>with what I've seen!)

If you want to do committer stuff that'd be great whenever you get time.
I don't think I have enough knowledge to do that part anyway; I just use
the few basic subversion commands I know.  And I don't think there is any
rush.  I just feel rushed to get the guide parts I'm working on now
substantially complete while I have it in mind.  I've been moving faster
than I ever anticipated, so don't feel bad.  A rare burst of energy on my
part.  Though I've wanted to do it for a long time, I never anticipated
even starting when I did.  I think that is the nature of work on open
source projects, since we all have real jobs.  And thanks for the kiind
words of encouragement!

Mark