A 1.4 release

Mark Duling mark.duling at biola.edu
Tue Feb 20 13:51:51 PST 2007

Juan Manuel Palacios <jmpp at macports.org> on Tuesday, February 20, 2007 at
1:25 PM -0800 wrote:
>> I just think the whole portfile.7 TCL EXTENSIONS "file" section in
>> general
>> is not too helpful for MacPorts developers, but I don't think I have
>> time
>> to fundamentally change it right now.  And I'm not sure if this can be
>> addressed to my satisfaction in a manfile sort of way, or whether it is
>> just best handled in documentation anyway.  I could add the new
>> commands
>> in the same way the new "delete" command was added, and that is all I
>> have
>> time to do right now, but it seems like we're just announcing new
>> commands
>> rather than explaining them.  If that is good enough then I could do it
>> within a week, but frankly I've lost track of the Kevin's description
>> of
>> the changes and I don't see it in the ChangeLog yet.
>>
>> Also, I've taken this as a pending item and I can have it done at the
>> same
>> time as well.
>> http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/11010
>>
>> Mark
>>

>	All in all, I think something is better than nothing. So if a
>comprehensible guide & complex examples are going to hold us back, I
>guess at least an introductory description of the new portfile writing
>commands is good enough to ship with 1.4's documentation updates. Have
>a look at my recent commit to the ChangeLog, it should help you spot
>what you need to advance on portfile.7. Open a new ticket to track
>these new additions by uploading patches, or let me know if you don't
>think you'll be able to work on the page in a timely manner, so that I
>coordinate it otherwise.

Yeah that's the conclusion I'm coming to, something is better than
nothing.  But I only had in mind a better TCL EXTENSIONS portfile.7
section; comprehensive documentation is definitely a longer term project.
I can have these changes by Wednesday next week, perhaps sooner since  the
changes are pretty minor.

Say, what do you think about this?
http://trac.macosforge.org/projects/macports/ticket/7534

I would say modifying the .dmg installer isn't worth it and installing
MacPorts into other than /opt/local ought to require a source install.  If
you agree, I can add a link for installing MacPorts from source on the
Wiki after 1.4 comes out and close the ticket.

Mark