Massive property update - PLEASE READ

Kevin Ballard eridius at macports.org
Thu Jan 25 18:54:30 PST 2007

At this very moment I am committing a bunch of changes to properties.
Unfortunately it's going to come across as... wow, 39 commits
(assuming there are changes in every category, which there probably
are). That's because I'm committing once per category because of
issues I had trying to commit the entire thing at once.

In any case, here's the change log:

Massive update to svn properties on files:
All patchfiles have svn:eol-style removed.
All files that are not in fact able to be executed have
svn:executable removed
All binary files have svn:eol-style removed (and are probably corrupt)
All binary files have svn:mime-type set to application/octet-stream
All files which are not patchfiles or binary files have svn:eol-style
set to native
All Portfiles have svn:eol-style set to native and svn:executable
removed

In the future, please try and use the right properties. svn:eol-style
native belongs on files which are line-ending-agnostic, like text
files, shell scripts, tcl scripts, and other source files. Patchfiles
must *NOT* have svn:eol-style set, as line endings are important in
them. Additionally, be careful about svn:executable - there were some
patch files with that set. Only set it if your file really needs to
be executable. There are still a bunch of svn:executable shell
scripts, but not all of them need it (most of them, for example, are
passed as an argument to bash). I didn't bother removing it from
scripts, but I did remove it from the patchfiles.

Oh, and when adding patches, please don't create a folder structure
like you can find in lang/gwydion-dylan/files. If you need to specify
path, do something like patch-dir_dir2_dir3_filename. All patchfiles
should be at the top level of the files/ folder.

Oh, and this is a biggie. There are a handful of binary files in
there that had svn:eol-style set. They are probably corrupt. I looked
at 2 of them (both pngs) and those 2 definitely were corrupt, but I
haven't checked any of the others. I don't know if there's any
possibility of recovering these files, it depends on if the svn
history has a copy of them before svn:eol-style was applied. When
adding a binary file to the repository, make sure it does *NOT* have
svn:eol-style set, and please do set svn:mime-type to application/
octet-stream (or you can use a more specific mime type if you know it).

Speaking of mime types, when adding non-binary files I would
recommend against setting the mime type. If you must,  go with text/
plain. Setting something like e.g. application/x-tcl on a Portfile
will probably prevent svn from display linewise diffs (svn is
documented as treating all non-text/* mime types as binary, with
known exceptions, but it doesn't list what the exceptions are).

-Kevin Ballard

--
Kevin Ballard
http://kevin.sb.org