Massive property update - PLEASE READ

Kevin Ballard eridius at
Thu Jan 25 18:54:30 PST 2007

At this very moment I am committing a bunch of changes to properties.  
Unfortunately it's going to come across as... wow, 39 commits  
(assuming there are changes in every category, which there probably  
are). That's because I'm committing once per category because of  
issues I had trying to commit the entire thing at once.

In any case, here's the change log:

Massive update to svn properties on files:
All patchfiles have svn:eol-style removed.
All files that are not in fact able to be executed have  
svn:executable removed
All binary files have svn:eol-style removed (and are probably corrupt)
All binary files have svn:mime-type set to application/octet-stream
All files which are not patchfiles or binary files have svn:eol-style  
set to native
All Portfiles have svn:eol-style set to native and svn:executable  

In the future, please try and use the right properties. svn:eol-style  
native belongs on files which are line-ending-agnostic, like text  
files, shell scripts, tcl scripts, and other source files. Patchfiles  
must *NOT* have svn:eol-style set, as line endings are important in  
them. Additionally, be careful about svn:executable - there were some  
patch files with that set. Only set it if your file really needs to  
be executable. There are still a bunch of svn:executable shell  
scripts, but not all of them need it (most of them, for example, are  
passed as an argument to bash). I didn't bother removing it from  
scripts, but I did remove it from the patchfiles.

Oh, and when adding patches, please don't create a folder structure  
like you can find in lang/gwydion-dylan/files. If you need to specify  
path, do something like patch-dir_dir2_dir3_filename. All patchfiles  
should be at the top level of the files/ folder.

Oh, and this is a biggie. There are a handful of binary files in  
there that had svn:eol-style set. They are probably corrupt. I looked  
at 2 of them (both pngs) and those 2 definitely were corrupt, but I  
haven't checked any of the others. I don't know if there's any  
possibility of recovering these files, it depends on if the svn  
history has a copy of them before svn:eol-style was applied. When  
adding a binary file to the repository, make sure it does *NOT* have  
svn:eol-style set, and please do set svn:mime-type to application/ 
octet-stream (or you can use a more specific mime type if you know it).

Speaking of mime types, when adding non-binary files I would  
recommend against setting the mime type. If you must,  go with text/ 
plain. Setting something like e.g. application/x-tcl on a Portfile  
will probably prevent svn from display linewise diffs (svn is  
documented as treating all non-text/* mime types as binary, with  
known exceptions, but it doesn't list what the exceptions are).

-Kevin Ballard

Kevin Ballard
eridius at

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

More information about the macports-dev mailing list