GSoC2007 work

James Berry jberry at macports.org
Fri Jun 1 12:01:22 PDT 2007

Hi Juan,

On Jun 1, 2007, at 11:43 AM, Juan Manuel Palacios wrote:

> 	Afternoon all, again! Sfiera already started work on his GSoC2007
> project, so big woot for that! However, he committed to trunk since
> no decision was ever made on how GSoC work was to be coordinated. I
> can't stress enough how much I would prefer to see this go into a
> branch for itself, rather than trunk, since we'll probably have
> three students committing potentially unstable code to the same
> place at the same time. We're working with an scm system and
> rolling back to a working revision is always possible should
> anything bad happen, I know, but with so many things added it can
> also be a real pain (considering that some others might also commit
> new code/bug fixes while GSoC takes place)!
>
> 	Again, many reasons to move GSoC work to branches and very little
> to have it happen right on trunk, in my opinion. I'll make the move
> if no one presents a case against it, so please speak up if you
> feel you have valid arguments against moving to branches. Thanks!

I'm strongly in favor of giving the GSoC students and their mentors
the latitude to decide which components of their projects should be
commited on a branch, and which to trunk. I believe that choice will
depend on a number of factors including the nature of the change, how
risky it is, how long it will take to stability, etc. In general,
however, I have a preference that changes should be made on trunk
unless they are destabilizing over a long period or are regarded as
strictly experimental.

I believe that sfiera's recent change to sqlite3 is an excellant
example of something that _should_ be done on trunk: it's relatively
antonymous, low-risk, and generally useful.

James.