MacPorts 1.4 rc2

Kevin Ballard eridius at macports.org
Wed Mar 14 15:00:08 PDT 2007

On Mar 14, 2007, at 5:11 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> I didn't try 1.4rc1... How do I try 1.4rc2? If I have a working
> copy of the release_1_4 branch, do I just configure, make, sudo
> make install?

Yes.

> Does it just overwrite my existing 1.3.2 installation?

Yes.

> Anything else I need to do to make it work?

No.

> Anything to watch out for?

It's pre-release software. There may be bugs. If you find any, file a
ticket and assign it the 1.4 milestone.

> The only way I've ever upgraded MacPorts in the past was to use
> sudo port selfupdate so I just want to make sure I don't hose
> something here.

selfupdate basically does a ./configure, make, sudo make install for
you. The only caveat to be careful of is if you've installed
something like Tcl/Tk Aqua, which replaces /usr/bin/tclsh (or as
Kevin Walzer pointed out, if you have tclsh installed from fink) it
can cause problems.

The only real caveat I can think of is if the official 1.4 release is
different than 1.4rc2, a `port selfupdate` won't pick it up, since it
will think both versions are 1.400.

--
Kevin Ballard
http://kevin.sb.org