1.6 release?

markd at macports.org markd at macports.org
Tue Nov 6 09:58:03 PST 2007

Juan Manuel Palacios <jmpp at macports.org> writes:
>	Overall, you think we should ship 1.6 with the old man pages still
>in place or will the new ones be able to replace them, even if not
>100% finished?

You know I forgot that I still have port.1 and macports.conf.5 still to
go.  And I'm going to be out of town for two weeks this month and then the
holidays are here.  So I'd say we should go with the old man pages for
1.6, contrary to what I implied in the last message.  That said, we're
still not far off with man pages and I'd say they could be included in
head definitely by end of January and then in the next release after that.
 It is possible that I could get a lot done in the next two weeks and
change all that, but I could not promise.  Right now the man pages are
holding up the new guide so everything depends on that.

If we ship 1.6 with the old man pages, it would be a shame because the new
ones have a lot of updated information that the old ones don't.  But if
the code and doc schedules don't match there isn't much we can do about it
I guess.

> Also, how are you planning to generate their troff
>incarnations out of the xml sources? We do need to offer something
>when a user types "man port" ;-)

Simon wrote a new doc-new/Makefile so now you just do "make man" and
that's it.  After completing the man pages port.1 will still be there with
all the rest, except I think perhaps portstyle.7's content might be
trimmed and merged into one of the portfile man pages.  It seems like it
may be unnecessary to me, but I haven't looked that close yet.

Mark