1.6 release?

Juan Manuel Palacios jmpp at macports.org
Tue Nov 6 10:35:36 PST 2007

On Nov 6, 2007, at 1:58 PM, markd at macports.org wrote:

> Juan Manuel Palacios <jmpp at macports.org> writes:
>> 	Overall, you think we should ship 1.6 with the old man pages still
>> in place or will the new ones be able to replace them, even if not
>> 100% finished?
>
> You know I forgot that I still have port.1 and macports.conf.5
> still to
> go.  And I'm going to be out of town for two weeks this month and
> then the
> holidays are here.  So I'd say we should go with the old man pages for
> 1.6, contrary to what I implied in the last message.  That said, we're
> still not far off with man pages and I'd say they could be included in
> head definitely by end of January and then in the next release
> after that.
>  It is possible that I could get a lot done in the next two weeks and
> change all that, but I could not promise.  Right now the man pages are
> holding up the new guide so everything depends on that.

	OK, no worries about that, have them ready when you can and let us
know of your progress, when we'll be able to swap out all of the old
and clean the slate with the new. In the mean time we'll do 1.6 with
the usual trunk/base/doc/* files.

> If we ship 1.6 with the old man pages, it would be a shame because
> the new
> ones have a lot of updated information that the old ones don't.
> But if
> the code and doc schedules don't match there isn't much we can do
> about it
> I guess.

	Not too worry.... this only assures us our first surprise for 1.7 ;-)

>> Also, how are you planning to generate their troff
>> incarnations out of the xml sources? We do need to offer something
>> when a user types "man port" ;-)
>
> Simon wrote a new doc-new/Makefile so now you just do "make man" and
> that's it.  After completing the man pages port.1 will still be
> there with
> all the rest, except I think perhaps portstyle.7's content might be
> trimmed and merged into one of the portfile man pages.  It seems
> like it
> may be unnecessary to me, but I haven't looked that close yet.

	Content organization put aside, we have to figure a way to tie "make
man" in the doc-new dir with our make system in trunk/base, so that
the regular "./configure && make && make install" dance (called
either when installing from source of while selfupdating) gets a set
of shiny new pages.... or are you thinking of regen'ing them manually
in trunk/doc-new and copying them over to trunk/base/doc/ when you
think it's OK to "cut a release" for them?

> Mark

	Regards,...

-jmpp