PLEASE READ: Whitespace rules

Kevin Ballard eridius at macports.org
Fri Sep 7 11:43:15 PDT 2007

On Sep 7, 2007, at 1:44 PM, Blair Zajac wrote:

> Kevin Ballard wrote:
>>  * Makefiles MUST use tabs as it is required by the syntax.
>> Makefiles SHOULD use a tab stop of 4.
>
> I suggest using a tab stop of 8.  I never have modelines in my
> Makefile's so seeing a tab stop of 4 would look odd.

Fair enough. I'll copy my rules into a file in the repo, and I'll
make the change there.

>>  * Makefiles MAY use a modeline. The following works for emacs and
>> vim:
>>         # -*- Mode: Makefile; tab-width: 4; indent-tabs-mode: t -
>> *- vim:noet:sw=4:ts=4
>>  * All other files (documentation, etc) SHOULD use soft tabs at a
>> tabstop of 4 if the document format allows.
>>  * All other files (documentation, etc) SHOULD NOT use a modeline
>> as it is probably meant for human consumption.
>> Does anybody have suggestions for any changes? If not, I recommend
>> implementing this immediately. Every time I edit a file I will be
>> converting it to this format and committing in a separate
>> changeset to keep the svn history and diffs clean. I recommend
>> everybody do this.
>
> The thing we edit the most here is Portfile's, so I would suggest
> changing all the SHOULD's for Portfile's to MUST's, as that's where
> I'd like to see the most standardization.

I would like to specify MUST but we have a lot more portfile
maintainers then we have base committers and I'm somewhat hesitant to
try and apply these rules to all Portfiles as a requirement when a
surprisingly large number of Portfiles use 8-width hard tabs. If you
think it's worth requiring these style rules for all further Portfile
commits instead of simply strongly recommending them, please do make
your argument.

--
Kevin Ballard
http://kevin.sb.org