"Documentation" milestone renamed

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Sun Sep 16 03:13:16 PDT 2007

  Randall Wood wrote:

> This is just a comment on the getmp.php page:
>
> Maybe it should be organized such that all the stuff about "if you are
> not using OS X..." is below the package installer section. Also we
> could put a large "download now" item (button/banner/whatever) that
> downloads the .pkg for your OS if it is available, or the source
> tarball in all other cases in a manner similar to the sourceforge.net
> download now buttons.

Probably a better split between "Binary Installation" and "Source
Installation", instead of hardcoding it to "Mac OS X Package (.pkg)
Installer". Another question is whether we'd want to link directly to
the source tarball for MacPorts-1.5.2 ? So that you'd either do "binary
package + port selfupdate", or you'd download the latest sources
directly if you're going to do the regular installation routine
anyway...

http://svn.macports.org/repository/macports/distfiles/MacPorts/
MacPorts-1.5.2.tar.bz2

Mostly this is because "selfupdate" doesn't work on other platforms at
the moment, since the defaults are currently hardwired to Mac OS X.
That doesn't have to be, though, autoconf can discover almost anything.
It would be nice if we could remove "GNU bash" and "GNU make" from
requirements, too.

http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12252 (configure
requires bash)
http://trac.macports.org/projects/macports/ticket/12247 (Makefiles