1.7.0 beta 1 tagged and ready to test

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Tue Dec 2 18:51:39 PST 2008

On Sun, Nov 30, 2008 at 11:15:28AM +0100, Anders F Björklund said:
> Bryan Blackburn wrote:

>>> @jmpp: I don't see any tarballs or dmgs for older rc/beta releases.
>>> Did
>>> they never exist, or are they kept somewhere I'm not looking?
>>
>> I checked and as far as I could tell, dmg's have always only been
>> released
>> when a version was finalized; that's why I did this the same way, with
>> the
>> svn tag only for now.
>
> Some of the earlier "unofficial" tarballs are in
> http://trac.macports.org/browser/distfiles/MacPorts/
>
> But QA testing packagings should go somewhere else,
> to clearly separate from the "release" versions... ?

I was pondering just dumping it into /users/blb or similar, to denote the
non-release status...

>> Though, given Anders' error, maybe we should add a step into the
>> ReleaseProcess that at least a dmg should be built before tagging, to
>> test
>> for such things?
>
> Judging from MacPorts 1.6.0 dmg, probably a good idea.
>
> That the MacPorts installation doesn't respect any
> chroot/DESTDIR and requires admin/root privileges
> shouldn't stop the release, though, as it's mostly
> something "wrong" and can be worked around / lived with.

The DESTDIR support should now work as of r42978 (trunk) and r42979
(branch release_1_7).  The root priv bit can be worked around with the
--with-install-(user|group) switches to configure, but I don't know what
kind of an effect that may have on the final install from DMG.

Bryan