[MacPorts] #13216: Add python support to playerstage-player

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jul 15 16:20:59 PDT 2008

On Jul 15, 2008, at 11:13, Regis Vincent wrote:

> I have a question about this behavior
> autoconf detects if python is present and adds the it to the build
> of player.
>
> If python is present, on the machine, what should be the behavior,
> build it with python even if the variant is not selected

No.

> OR
> not build the python extension despite the fact that python is
> present on the machine ?

Yes.

> I don't care one way or the other but both are valid expectations.

In MacPorts the expectation is that two users who request to install
a port with the same set of variants will get exactly the same
software [1] regardless of any differences in the list of installed
ports on their machines. If the port has not declared a dependency on
python, it must not use python, even if python is installed. Same
goes for all other undeclared dependencies [2]. Software should come
with configure switches you can use to disable python support in the
default situation, which you can include with configure.args, and
which you can remove in the python variant with configure.args-
delete. Or you could choose to make python support always-on and
dispense with the need for configure arguments and variants.

Other than Xcode, ports usually shouldn't make use of software
provided by Apple with Mac OS X; MacPorts versions of that software
should be preferred. The FAQ [3] explains why.

[1] With the exception of differences in major Mac OS X versions and
processor architecture.

[2] With the exception of Xcode, which is a basic necessity for using
MacPorts and on which ports needn't declare a dependency.

[3] http://trac.macports.org/wiki/FAQ#WhyisMacPortsusingitsownlibraries