[MacPorts] #16048: lv2core: new port

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Fri Jul 25 13:09:48 PDT 2008

On Jul 25, 2008, at 11:01, David Evans wrote:

> MacPorts wrote:
>
>> #16048: lv2core:  new port
>> ---------------------------------
>> +------------------------------------------
>>   Reporter:  db.evans at gmail.com  |       Owner:
>> ryandesign at macports.org
>>       Type:  enhancement         |      Status:
>> assigned                 Priority:  Normal              |
>> Milestone:  Port Submissions        Component:
>> ports               |     Version:  1.6.0
>> Resolution:                      |
>> Changes (by ryandesign at macports.org):
>>   * owner:  macports-tickets at lists.macosforge.org =>
>>             ryandesign at macports.org
>>   * status:  new => assigned
>> Comment:
>>  I added the port in r38544. Thanks!
>>  Question: why is gawk listed as a dependency? It installs for me
>> without
>>  complaint even when gawk is absent. That's on 10.4.11 Intel.
>>  Also: this port doesn't install any binaries or libraries, right?
>> Given
>>  that, can I add "`universal_variant no`" to the portfile?
>
> I added gawk because the configure script explicitly checks for it
> and it was my understanding that the MacPorts policy was to use
> ports in preference to Apple installed software.  However, if you
> see no need for it, I have no problem removing it.

You're right that we do want to use MacPorts software instead of
system software...

But I think configure will always check for gawk and other itty bitty
utilities like that, even if the software doesn't need it. This would
mean we would need to add gawk as a dependency to every port that
uses autoconf. Even gawk's configure script checks for gawk!

So for dependencies like awk and sed and grep I think it is ok to use
the versions of these utilities included with Mac OS X, if they work
for the given port. Maybe the distinction that should be made in the
Guide is that build-time dependencies can be supplied by Mac OS X if
they work, while runtime and library dependencies should be supplied
by MacPorts (excepting X11, Kerberos, ...)? Does that make sense to
everyone?

> And yes, the port only installs necessary include pkgconfig files
> that are required by other software (such as the slv2 port) to
> implement the
> lv2 plugin standard.  So, as you say, the concept of a
> universal_variant is not meaningful here.

Ok, thanks, I removed the universal variant.

-Ryan