[38815] trunk/dports/science/geos

Adam Mercer ramercer at gmail.com
Thu Jul 31 21:38:03 PDT 2008

On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 11:23 PM, Landon Fuller <landonf at macports.org> wrote:

> On Jul 31, 2008, at 9:05 PM, Adam Mercer wrote:
>
>> On Thu, Jul 31, 2008 at 7:07 PM,  <landonf at macports.org> wrote:
>>
>>> 3.0 's C-API is both API and binary compatible with the 2.x release, and
>>> tested building / running PostGIS.
>>
>> No it is not, py25-matplotlib-basemap is now broken, it does not build
>> against 3.0.x!
>

> I went off the developer's statements on compatibility, but, unfortunately:
>
>  http://www.mail-archive.com/matplotlib-users@lists.sourceforge.net/msg05301.html
>
> So it sounds like we either need to fix the issues, or keep around GEOS 2.x
> *and* GEOS 3.x, and that's going to be a bloody mess.
>
> I see you rolled back the port. It looks like ticket #13699 has been sitting
> since March -- can I just create a GEOS 2.x port and py25-matplotlib-basemap
> can depend on that?

I've been trying since March to get basemap working with 3.0.x, it can
build but doesn't work properly. The basemap developer has also been
trying and can't get anywhere. So at the moment, the only solution is
to have a separate geos3 port. As you want to add ports that require
geos3 we'll have to go that way.

Cheers

Adam