Jaguar support

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Jun 10 01:22:16 PDT 2008

Just for fun, I tried to compile MacPorts trunk on Mac OS X 10.2.8
Jaguar. It didn't work:

checking for sed... (cached) /usr/bin/sed
checking which sed flag to use for extended regexp... no idea
configure: error: cannot determine flag to use for /usr/bin/sed

sed on Jaguar may not have any support for extended (modern) regular
expressions. I can't find any mention of them in the manpage.

What should we do at this point? We still have 99 ports with
"platform darwin 6" sections. Should we declare Jaguar support dead
and remove those parts of those ports? Or can we fix Jaguar support
somehow? Or do we leave it as is and require users to manually build
GNU sed in order to build MacPorts? (If so, it'll be an older
version; GNU sed 4.1.5 doesn't compile on Jaguar either.)