Jaguar support

Anders F Björklund afb at macports.org
Tue Jun 10 01:40:58 PDT 2008

  Ryan Schmidt:

> Just for fun, I tried to compile MacPorts trunk on Mac OS X 10.2.8
> Jaguar. It didn't work:
>

> checking for sed... (cached) /usr/bin/sed
> checking which sed flag to use for extended regexp... no idea
> configure: error: cannot determine flag to use for /usr/bin/sed
>

> sed on Jaguar may not have any support for extended (modern) regular
> expressions. I can't find any mention of them in the manpage.
>
> What should we do at this point? We still have 99 ports with
> "platform darwin 6" sections. Should we declare Jaguar support dead
> and remove those parts of those ports? Or can we fix Jaguar support
> somehow? Or do we leave it as is and require users to manually build
> GNU sed in order to build MacPorts? (If so, it'll be an older
> version; GNU sed 4.1.5 doesn't compile on Jaguar either.)

We can change it from a configure/compile-time error, to a run-time ?

Considering there are not very many ports that use extended regexps
anyway, it can be made to just error out when doing a -E reinplace...
(rules of the game being that using jaguar *and* extended won't work)
Alternatively one could just use an older MacPorts version for Jaguar.

But add a ticket for it, and I'll take a peek at hacking something up.

--anders