MacPorts AutoBuild

Bryan Blackburn blb at macports.org
Fri Jun 20 13:47:00 PDT 2008

On Jun 20, 2008, at 11:10 AM, Daniel J. Luke wrote:

> I don't know if you have plans for future development, but I was
> thinking the following would be good:
>
> - Add a way to add more macports.conf settings (enabling parallel
> builds perhaps)

Currently, I simply punt on this issue, since it'd be tough to figure
out what settings for various macports.conf values would be best for a
given use.  You can use './mpab mount' to mount the chroot and 'vi
mpchroot/opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf' to change whatever you
need.

> - Use archive mode or activate/inactivate to speed things up for
> ports with lots of dependencies (unless I'm missing something, I
> think that ports end up getting rebuilt multiple times as
> dependencies since everything gets uninstalled between port builds)

As you noticed, it does use archive mode, but since it uninstalls all
installed ports after each port-build attempt, you'll see it reinstall
popular dependencies (eg, pkgconfig, zlib, etc) quite a bit.  This way
it should catch ports that have missed necessary deps.  Fortunately
with archive mode it only has to reinstall the files, but if you're on
a slower disk, some ports with 20+ deps can still take a while to do
these; especially larger ports with lots of files, like ncursesw with
over 3000 files alone, seriously IO bound.

Bryan