MacPorts AutoBuild

Daniel J. Luke dluke at geeklair.net
Fri Jun 20 14:13:45 PDT 2008

On Jun 20, 2008, at 4:47 PM, Bryan Blackburn wrote:
> Currently, I simply punt on this issue, since it'd be tough to figure
> out what settings for various macports.conf values would be best for a
> given use.  You can use './mpab mount' to mount the chroot and 'vi
> mpchroot/opt/local/etc/macports/macports.conf' to change whatever you
> need.

Yeah, I modified where you turned on archivemode to also tweak the
conf to do parallel build with some of the cores on my workstation.

>> - Use archive mode or activate/inactivate to speed things up for
>> ports with lots of dependencies (unless I'm missing something, I
>> think that ports end up getting rebuilt multiple times as
>> dependencies since everything gets uninstalled between port builds)
>
> As you noticed, it does use archive mode, but since it uninstalls all
> installed ports after each port-build attempt, you'll see it reinstall
> popular dependencies (eg, pkgconfig, zlib, etc) quite a bit.  This way
> it should catch ports that have missed necessary deps.  Fortunately
> with archive mode it only has to reinstall the files, but if you're on
> a slower disk, some ports with 20+ deps can still take a while to do
> these; especially larger ports with lots of files, like ncursesw with
> over 3000 files alone, seriously IO bound.

Have you tried using activate/deactivate instead of archives/
uninstall? I don't know if it would be significantly faster or not,
but it would probably be worth testing. I might eventually have time
to investigate this (but probably not for the next week or so).

--
Daniel J. Luke