Mirror at PVV at NTNU in Norway

William Siegrist wsiegrist at apple.com
Mon Sep 15 17:03:58 PDT 2008

On Sep 15, 2008, at 4:38 PM, Einar Johan Sømåen wrote:

> We at PVV are currently working on setting up a mirror-server for
> various OSS-projects, since we got a nice
> new server recently. Does Macports needs a new mirror?
>
> Details:
> Internet-connection: 1000 Mbps (direct uninett-connection)
> Location: Trondheim, Norway.
> Uptime: No guarantees, as this is server is maintained as volunteer
> work, but we have a quite good track-record.
> Native IPv6 support, and should also be fine with pulling from FTP.
>
> If you are interested, let me know.

Thanks for the email Einar... To recap a few things discussed on IRC:

1. jberry will need to handle the DNS. I suggest
<city>.<country>.distfiles.macports.org and similarly for
rsync.macports.org.  Then we just need to add the new entry to the
mirror group?

2. This server will be able to fetch distfiles from FTP servers, so
this is nice in light of our recent thread about the iso-codes port.
This means they cant just rsync files from distfiles.macports.org, but
I pointed Einar at <http://trac.macports.org/browser/trunk/base/portmgr/jobs
 > for some sample scripts for daily and svn-based mirroring.

3. We'll want a wiki page listing mirrors and a quick rundown of
changing sources.conf to use a closer portfile/rsync mirror. Or if
Josh want to port his ping timing to rsync selection, the users in
Europe should get the benefits automatically and a mirror list is less
vital. Perhaps if sources.conf has the default "rsync://
rsync.macports.org" do ping timing, if its anything else, respect what
the user has set.

-Bill