Automatic homepage for sourceforge, googlecode, etc.

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Sat Aug 22 13:03:50 PDT 2009

On Aug 22, 2009, at 13:15, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> On Aug 22, 2009, at 1:37 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> Now that I think about it, the way these shortcuts are working now
>> is a little like portgroups. In fact all of it probably could be
>> implemented as a portgroup.
>>
>> PortGroup sourceforge 1.0
>>
>> PortGroup googlecode 1.0
>>
>> Might that simplify base code a bit?
>
> I'd suggest we do something akin to the extract options:
> use_sourceforge or use_googlecode.

That would be another option.... But perhaps another motivation to
move the logic out of MacPorts base and into portgroups would be that
it can be updated without requiring a new release of MacPorts base.

> Are we able to use more than one PortGroup at a time (googlecode +
> cmake)?

Yes. The "PortGroup" command is really just an "include" command. You
can include as many portgroups as you want/need.

> More importantly, I don't think we need the "versions" that
> PortGroup brings with it.

To my knowledge the version feature that portgroup and portsystem
have have never actually been used. Everything we have seems to be
"1.0". But just be cause we don't happen to need that part of the
portgroup infrastructure isn't an argument not to use it for this.

> We can achieve this same functionality without resorting to a
> PortGroup via use_sourceforge.
>
> Additionally, I find the use_googlecode option more readable. :-)

I don't necessarily disagree with you on that point...