Post on Snow Leopard status?

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Tue Aug 25 10:37:38 PDT 2009

On 2009-8-26 03:05, John Owens wrote:
> Millions of people will open an early Christmas present on
> Friday with the Snow Leopard release and I haven't seen
> anything recent on the macports user list that specifically
> targets what users should do (or anything on the macports
> home page). I'm watching dozens of checkins on a snowleopard
> page that mark what works / what doesn't work (?) but I think
> a lot of folks, me included, aren't sure what to expect when
> we upgrade to 10.6. It'd be nice, perhaps on the home page, to
> put a best-practices note (e.g. "your current install will
> work fine, the big changes that affect you will be X and Y,
> here's where to look to see if your favorite package is going
> to work when recompiled", etc.).

It could probably be documented better, but the deal has always been
that you need to reinstall MacPorts and all your ports when you change
to a different major OS version (or architecture).

For 10.6, you need MacPorts 1.8, which we're aiming to release on the
same day.

Finally, apart from the fact that you should always state your system
configuration when filing tickets, it doesn't matter that it's a new OS
version. If something is broken and there isn't an existing ticket, open
one.

- Josh