macports dovecot sieve

Bradley Giesbrecht brad at pixilla.com
Thu Dec 17 00:20:46 PST 2009

On Dec 16, 2009, at 11:59 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:

> On Dec 17, 2009, at 01:26, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:
>
>> I'm building the dovecot-1.2-sieve plugin and am doing a portfile
>> while I'm at it.
>>
>> The file download is dovecot-1.2-sieve-0.1.13.tar.gz.
>>
>> Later I will also be building dovecot-1.2-managesieve-0.11.9.tar.gz.
>>
>> It looks like the authors add the dovecot version in the name
>> because there are different versions of the plugin depending on the
>> version of dovecot.
>>
>> I'm using my own dovecot Portfile and I'm at the most recent 1.2
>> version while ports has 1.1.16.
>>
>> Should I bother submitting dovecot sieve and if so what should I
>> name it?
>
> Maybe dovecot-sieve? There is an open request to add a +sieve
> variant to dovecot; maybe your separate port would satisfy this
> request. A separate port is probably better for usability than a
> variant anyway.
>
> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/11810

There are two sieve options for dovecot, Dovecot Sieve for Dovecot 1.2
and newer and CMU Sieve for Dovecot 1.0 through 1.2.

So dovecot-sieve and later if someone wants the other they could
create dovecot-cmu-sieve?

>> Should I also submit my dovecot 1.2 Portfile?
>
> That would be great.
> If so should I trac it to the current dovecot or rename it to
> dovecot12 or something?
>
> My instinct would be no. Is there any reason someone would still
> want dovecot 1.1? You could ask the maintainer of dovecot for
> guidance if you're unsure.

When I have this working on my production server, hopefully tonight,
I'll send my Portfile to the maintainer.

>> Also, dovecot v2 is in beta, I won't be building it real soon but
>> thought I'd mention.
>>
>> BTW, the dovecot 1.1 branch is at 1.1.20. 1.1.16 was release June
>> 1st 2009.
>>
>> I'm only moving to dovecot 1.2 because dovecot-sieve is for dovecot
>> 1.2 or newer.
>
> As far as I can tell, 1.2.9 is the stable version of dovecot, so I
> would assume the port should be updated to that version. It looks
> like the maintainer last touched the port the month before 1.2.0 was
> released.

// Brad