Webserver ports

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Feb 12 23:06:26 PST 2009

On Feb 13, 2009, at 00:54, Bradley Giesbrecht wrote:

> On Feb 12, 2009, at 8:54 PM, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> We could consider totally rearranging the layout of apache2,
>> apache20 and apache to better fit into the standard MacPorts
>> directories. However, at the moment I'm just concerned with making
>> all the web server ports use the same document root and cgi
>> directory by default, so that any port that requires a web server
>> will know where to put its files. That's the issue I'm currently
>> facing as I make a port for webdot.
>>
>> http://trac.macports.org/ticket/18458
>
> That's pretty damn cool!
> Have you used ming?

I have not been able to use ming with Graphviz, and I haven't tried
using ming with anything else. Someone else added the ming variant to
the graphviz port. I tried to use it before, but no matter what I
did, Graphviz would say it did not support the output format.

> Dovecot requires knocking down process or bumping up file descriptors.
> I think a message should be added to the dovecot port explaining
> how to do it.

Could you file a ticket for that please and assign it to dovecot's
maintainer?

> I've just realize no one has correct spelling or grammar on this
> list. How refreshing:)

I try!

> Oh, and no "top post" nazis either. Hell, I can read backwards if I
> have to:)
>
> How would I do a search for sysctl using port?
> I have not figured out the "port echo" usage yet but would love to.

I searched for "sysctl" in all Portfiles like this:

port cddir && grep sysctl */*/Portfile

"port cddir" is my own shell function which is in my ~/.bashrc and
which looks something like this:

port() {
	case "$1" in
		cddir)
			if [ -z "$2" ]; then
				cd $(command port dir MacPorts)/../..
			else
				cd $(command port dir "$2")
			fi
			;;
		*)
			command port "$@"
			;;
	esac
}

Then you can say "port cddir graphviz" to change to the graphviz
port's directory, or just "port cddir" to change to the directory two
directories up from that.