Looking for a portfile review before submitting (rbldnsd)

Scott Haneda talklists at newgeo.com
Wed Jun 10 18:20:03 PDT 2009

On Jun 10, 2009, at 6:07 PM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

> On Jun 10, 2009, at 8:49 PM, Scott Haneda wrote:
>
>> 1) How do I decide the category, can someone show me a list, and
>> suggest the correct one for this?  I see bind9 is in "net", perhaps
>> this should also be in "net"?
>
> Yes, this would make sense to be in net and then sysutils

Ok, will do.  Is there a guideline?

>> 2) Do I really need the extract.suffix?  I lean on simpler being
>> better.
>
> See previous email on distfiles versus distname.

See reply, can not seem to get it to work for some silly reason.

>> 3) How do the permissions I chose look in the destroot phase?
>
> Why is the program incapable of installing itself from --prefix=?

I am not that versed in this stuff.  I run ./configure and it works,
if I run ./configure with the --prefix is balks at me...

$./configure -help
configure: configure rbldnsd package.
Usage: ./configure [options]
where options are:
  --enable-option, --with-option --
    enable the named option/feature
  --disable-option, --without-option, --no-option --
    disable the named option/feature
  --help - print this help and exit
Optional features (all enabled by default if system supports a feature):
   ipv6 - enable/disable IP version 6 (IPv6) support
   stats - enable/disable runtime statistics
   master-dump - enable/disable master-format (bind) dump support (-d
option)
   zlib - zlib support
   dso - dynamic extensions (using shared objects) -- disabled by
default

$./configure --prefix=/foo
configure: unknown option `--prefix=/foo'

>> 4) I want ahead and installed some notes and other misc files that
>> were in the download, should I even bother?  Is this the correct
>> location to put them?
>
> Eh, echoing Blair's sentiments I don't think you should bother.

Ok, will nuke them, was a good exercise anyway though, xinstall
through me for a loop a few times, I know better now.

>> 5) should I call this rbldnsd-server?  It is a server, it does not
>> include a launchd item due to the nature of how it is started being
>> so custom.
>
> Bind9 is not considered a server so I don't feel this needs to be
> either.  There isn't a client component from which you need to
> differentiate.

Got it.

>> 6) If I wanted to include a sample zone file for this, where would
>> the best place be to store that, and what is the correct suggested
>> naming convention for the name of that sample file?
>> rbldnsd.zone.sample?
>
> If it's an example, why not in ${prefix}/share/${name}/ or other
> typical Unix path (with prefix in front)?

Sounds good to me, I was genuinely just asking what a good place would
be.  I am not aware of a guideline on where things go, and from unix
to unix, people do things a little different all over the place.  I am
trying to conform to the macports way as much as possible.  Thanks for
the path, I will look at using that, if I get around to including a
plist at all.

Thanks for the pointers.