tcl needs --disable-corefoundation

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Sun Oct 11 10:48:37 PDT 2009

On 2009-10-11 19:21 , Jack Howarth wrote:
>    I am confused though as to why the python26 package doesn't provide
> the same access to its headers and development libraries as the python25
> package. In the case of the of python25 for example, we have the headers
> included in /opt/local/include/python2.5 with a symlink in
> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/include.

As I committed the transition of python25 I had to make a few drawbacks
to keep it compatible with existing py25-* ports and thus I kept the
directories in the original location. But later we discovered that this
causes problems for some ports (infamous "Not a directory" issue). The
problem appears when you have a symlink and a port then tries to use
that as a regular directory. Therefore no symlinks anymore for python26
to avoid problems.

> In
> the case of python26, we don't have anything in /opt/local/include. This
> means that the pymol patch had to be changed to use...
>
> -PYTHON_INC_DIR = -I/sw/include/python2.3 \
> -       -I/sw/include/python2.3/Numeric

Actually software should be asking python where it's headers are (by
using python*-config or requesting the path to
lib/python2.6/config/Makefile). The assumption of include/python* does
just not always hold true.

> +PYTHON_INC_DIR = -I at PREFIX@/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/include/python2.6 \
> +       -I at PREFIX@/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.6/include/python2.6/Numeric
>
> etc. Likewise, in python25, we have the actual subdirectory in
> /opt/local/lib/python2.5 with a symlink to that directory in
> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/Python.framework/Versions/2.5/lib
> whereas with python26 there is nothing in /opt/local/lib. These
> seme like pretty radical changes in the packaging between
> python25 and python26.

Yes, it's the way python wants it when being build as a framework. As a
result python based ports have to symlink any important files installed
in the python prefix (e.g. in bin/ or share/) back to the regular prefix.

Rainer