Contributing a partially-functional port for nted

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed Sep 2 00:12:53 PDT 2009

On Sep 1, 2009, at 16:31, Travis Briggs wrote:

> I recently patched nted
> (http://vsr.informatik.tu-chemnitz.de/staff/jan/nted/nted.xhtml) to
> work in my macports environment. As distributed, it depends on ALSA
> for music score playback. I removed all references to ALSA data types,
> and made any functions that utilized them non functioning. So now the
> program works well, you can create and edit documents, but when you
> try to configure MIDI playback, or activate MIDI playback (using the
> play button), nothing happens.
>
> I was wondering if this sort of patch would be useful for the project.
> If so, I'll look into the documentation about how to create a port
> file (and volunteer to maintain it). If not, I'll probably just
> distribute the patch files myself.

Possibly.

I note that ALSA stands for Advanced Linux Sound Architecture, so I do
not know if it can work on Mac OS X. If it can, then a port for it
should be added and then nted would presumably work without patches.

If ALSA cannot work on Mac OS X, then you should contribute your
patches upstream, since they would be useful to all Mac users, not
just those using MacPorts. Until the patches are accepted upstream, a
portfile in MacPorts could apply those patches itself. You could file
a port request ticket for nted and attach your patches, and a portfile
if you've written one.