[57854] trunk/dports/www/phpmyadmin/Portfile

Olivier Le Floch alakazam at macports.org
Fri Sep 18 09:13:12 PDT 2009

Hi,

Thanks for the input and advice on this issue !

On 18 sept. 09, at 02:17, Rainer Müller wrote:

> On 2009-09-17 23:26 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>> Personally, I prefer to tell the user where the sample files are so
>> they can make copies if and when they want. Other port authors have
>> taken recently to copying the sample files for the user.
>
> If the software requires the config file to run at all, it makes sense
> to copy it in a post-activate phase. Otherwise, there is no need to
> do this.

I agree. In the case of the phpMyAdmin port, the configuration file is
not required, but since phpMyAdmin expects its configuration file to
be in it's root directory (i.e. in /opt/local/www/phpmyadmin/ for
macports), uninstalling/upgrading phpmyadmin would destroy/conflict
with the user's configuration file. Because of this, I had to add a
symlink from the default configuration file location to somewhere in $
{prefix}/etc/. Unfortunately, phpMyAdmin calls it's configuration file
{{{config.inc.php}}}, which meant I had to rename it (and differ from
phpMyAdmin's documentation) in ${prefix}/etc/, and the easiest way I
think to document this name change was to directly install the sample
config file.

phpMyAdmin seems to work with the symlink and no configuration file,
but that would still leave it to the user to understand in what custom
location the config file was to be put, so I'm under the impression
that this would be the best solution for the user while still
complying with macports guidelines.

Best regards,

--
Olivier