Help on startupitem.executable for Jetty server?

Guy Davis davis at guydavis.ca
Fri Sep 25 15:03:08 PDT 2009

Hi,

I'm trying to update the Jetty portfile to the latest release and am trying
to use the 'startupitem.executable' directive to have it start automatically
on boot.  I've read through the MacPorts guide, but am not having much luck
so far.  I have Jetty 6.1.21 installing into /opt/local/share/java/jetty.
It can be started manually with a 'java -jar start.jar' in that directory.

However, my attempt at startupitem seems wrong:

startupitem.create      yes
startupitem.logfile     ${prefix}/share/java/jetty/logs/daemon.log"
startupitem.logevents   yes
startupitem.executable  java -jar ${prefix}/share/java/jetty/start.jar

When I install this dev port and run:
sudo launchctl load -w /Library/LaunchDaemons/org.macports.jetty.plist
then:
sudo launchctl start jetty
I get: launchctl start error: No such proces

Anyhow, I'd really appreciate some tips on how to properly configure Jetty
to launch automatically.

Thanks in advance,
Guy