Chromium BSU versus Chromium

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Jul 8 14:34:27 PDT 2010

On Jul 8, 2010, at 15:50, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

> Well, that raises an interesting point.  If some fairly obscure game featuring canids with lasers had claimed the name "firefox", would we really relegate the firefox browser to a different name, or would we check the google hits on each and decide that for the overwhelming majority of the world, "firefox" meant a browser and it would be silly to have macports follow a different convention just for historical reasons?
>
> I think chromium falls into the same category, myself.

I agree that's a good policy. So I will shortly commit my change which renames chromium to chromium-bsu, and then later chromium can become a port for the browser, if desired.

In this case there was no conflict at the time the chromium port was created. (The chromium browser did not exist at that time.) So now we just have to adapt.