KDE's application path

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Wed Feb 23 14:19:55 PST 2011

On 2011-02-16 22:52 , Nicolas Pavillon wrote:
> There are ways to circumvent this issue, but can hardly be automated
> on the Portfile. Typically, a solution may be to prepare a preference
> file with proper path already set in, but KDE's preferences are in
> ~/Library/Preferences/KDE, so that installing this file would to my
> knowledge break the installation policy in /opt/local for a standard
> installation.

Yes, as Mac OS X is a multi-user system we cannot write to the home
directory of the user as this would not make it work for all users.

Is there no global equivalent of this preferences file?

> I am wondering if people more knowledgeable than me in KDE would have
> an idea to propose in order to try to solve this issue directly at
> install. I noticed for example that Dolphin can open files with other
> KDE's applications such as Okular or Gwenview, so that it seems that
> way to find applications could exist.

Poking around in the source code of Dolphin, it seems to use either
KRun::runCommand() from krun.h or
KFileItemActions::runPreferredApplications() from kfileitemactions.h. In
both cases I haven't spotted anything special, so I guess the library
providing these functions is doing the magic.

In kile-devel there seems to be specific code for each tool. All I found
is work/kile-2.1b5/src/data/kilestdtools.rc, where the command for each
tool is listed. I have no idea where this ends up, but maybe it can be
patched to use ${prefix}.

Disclaimer:
I don't have kdebase4 or kile-devel installed, I was only looking at the
source.

Rainer