policy about python_select

Sébastien Barthélémy barthelemy at crans.org
Mon Mar 7 12:55:04 PST 2011

Hello,

I'm asking for an advice about a problem raised in ticket
https://trac.macports.org/ticket/28664

qgis fails to install itself with IMHO 3 problems

1) the fcgi dependency installation fails

2) the port is missing a py26-sip dependency

3) if py26-sip is installed, but python_select is
    set up to use mac os X own python version, then
    the port will use this version at the configure
    step, the sipconfig module won't be found and the
    qgis install will fail.

I'm writing here about this third problem. The qgis port
maintainer thinks that my python_select setup is wrong and
that I should change it to use the python from macport.

I think that there is nothing wrong with my setup and that
qgis port should be smart enough (or maybe robust enough) to
look directly for the proper python version from macport.

The problem is that we have been unable to find any
authoritative documentation or policy about this matter.

Any idea?