policy about python_select

Eric A. Borisch eborisch at macports.org
Mon Mar 7 14:02:27 PST 2011

My 2c:

1) Macports doesn't (to my knowledge, at least) install python packages in a
manner accessible from /usr/bin/python.

2) As it requires pyXX-pyqt4 to be installed, qgis needs to be built against
the macports python version where pyqt4 and its dependencies were installed.
(See again #1 as to why it must be the macports version)

3) This doesn't mean you need to use python-select to point to a macports
version, just that it needs to be installed. Python-select is for what you
get at the command line when you type 'python' or a shell script runs
/usr/bin/env python. Most programs that depend on python will permit you to
explicitly call out which python to use. Which leads me to my suggestion:

I would think the portfile should either pick a version (eg 27) or have
variants (+python27, +python26) to explicitly point to (with
"-DPYTHON_EXECUTABLE=${prefix}/bin/python2.7" and associated python
options in the configure.args) a macports installed python. This would
replace the Python_FRM, Pyver, Pyversion, and Pyverpath logic in the
portfile currently.

Again, my 2c.

  - Eric
--