Simplify sourceforge fetch group

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon May 23 12:00:52 PDT 2011

On 2011-5-21 23:29 , Ryan Schmidt wrote:
> In the thread "fetching sources from sourceforge takes very long time" on macports-users a couple weeks ago, I proposed the following:
>

> http://lists.macosforge.org/pipermail/macports-users/2011-May/024332.html
>
> On May 11, 2011, at 06:44, Ryan Schmidt wrote:
>
>> In the case of SourceForge, I wonder: why are we even bothering maintaining a list of mirror servers, when SourceForge itself does so, through their redirector? Why don't we reduce the entire sourceforge fetch group down to its first item: http://downloads.sourceforge.net/ ? This might not solve the general problem of servers with low ping times not necessarily having high transfer speed, but it might at least help for SourceForge, assuming their redirector has a better algorithm.

The original reason (r21768) for having more than just the redirector
was in case it goes down. The main downside to removing the rest now is
that the ping time for the redirector is not the same as that of the
mirror it redirects to, but it will be compared to those of the MacPorts
mirrors during sorting.

- Josh