New AquaTerm & gnuplot patches

Mojca Miklavec mojca.miklavec.lists at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 16:23:30 PDT 2012

On Mon, Aug 20, 2012 at 5:39 PM, Aljaž Srebrnič wrote:
> On 31/lug/2012, at 00:30, Mojca Miklavec wrote:
>
> Hi Mojca, Sorry I'm late, i was "out of the civilization" until some days ago ;)

I hope that details follow off-list ;)

>> AquaTerm has moved to GitHub and new version has been released. I
>> attached the revised Portfile here:
>>    http://trac.macports.org/ticket/34346
>>
>> However, it would be very helpful to patch gnuplot before upgrading
>> AquaTerm. I uploaded this patch about three months ago (today I only
>> refreshed it to reflect the latest change in gnuplot) and I would be
>> really grateful for any kind of feedback:
>>    http://trac.macports.org/attachment/ticket/34423/gnuplot-use-aqt-framework-extra-option.patch
>
> I am no autoconf expert, however I know it a little, all your patches make sense to me.
>
>> The patch is needed in order to be able to get rid of
>> libaquaterm.dylib & header files (replaced by AquaTerm.framework)
>>
>> I'm the maintainer of gnuplot port (without commit rights) and from my
>> perspective I consider the patch ready to be committed (there is no
>> need for rebuild gnuplot since gnuplot already links against
>> /opt/local/Library/Frameworks/AquaTerm.framework/Versions/A/AquaTerm),
>> so if any developer with commit rights is comfortable with the patch,
>> I would like to request commiting it.
>
> I'll commit it then, with your approval.

Then please do. Thank you.

>> ------
>>
>> The new version of AquaTerm might be interested for the following reasons:
>> - support for transparency
>> - universal binaries (like running i386 gnuplot with x86_64 AquaTerm)
>> don't have problems any more
>> - in 1.1.0 (which never made it into MacPorts) the first plot
>> following "set term aqua size x,y" would be typeset with transparent
>> (=invisible) labels and sometimes plot wouldn't be cleared
>> - no need to patch xcodeproject
>
> Since AquaTerm is under maintainership of mcalhoun, let's see what he/she thinks of it!

I first tried to reach him in March 2011. I wrote him emails in 16
different threads (one to several emails per thread) and never
received any single response from him. Not even a single sign of life.
I guess that other developers who have been following development
longer must know more.

I believe the patches are way beyond the 72 hours of "maintainer
timeout" limit, so they should be legally safe to commit ;). There has
been no single response to
    http://trac.macports.org/ticket/34346
for approximately four months. I was actually thinking of filing a
port abandonment ticket for AquaTerm eventually.

> Also, I see that your commits were pulled in, does that mean that the patches to AquaTerm are now obsolete?

Which commits do you have in mind? Any patches under "files" can go if
that is what you are asking.

Thanks a lot for taking the time to look at all the patches,
    Mojca

(un)related: I'm fighting with another issue which I believe must be
some PackageMaker's bug. If someone would install AquaTerm with
MacPorts first and then with an official installer, the installed
AquaTerm.app would end up overwriting
/Applications/MacPorts/AquaTerm.app instead of being placed under
/Applications/AquaTerm.app. Here's an exact description from 2007:
http://lists.apple.com/archives/installer-dev/2007/Dec/msg00040.html