Buildbot error

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Thu Dec 27 01:49:57 PST 2012

On Dec 27, 2012, at 02:03, Vincent Habchi wrote:

>> Are you still using Subversion 1.6 and copied the directory with plain
>> cp, including the .svn directory in this path? Then you need to get rid
>> of this .svn directory and make a proper copy.
>
> Could be that indeed. I confirm I still use svn 1.6 (the Apple bundled one). I’ll move to Macports svn right away, but is there any snag upgrading from 1.6 to 1.7?

The working copy format has changed between Subversion 1.6 and 1.7, and in the early versions of 1.7 there were some bugs reported where some working copies—especially those that had been long-lived and had seen lots of work done in their lifetimes—could not be correctly converted to the new 1.7 format, and the working copy was rendered unusable by the attempted conversion operation. Or, the conversion would appear to succeed, and days or weeks later some portion of it would be found to be unusable in some way. Working copies are commonly considered to be disposable, so while the developers of Subversion of course tried to fix these bugs in later versions of Subversion, the answer to the user was always to delete the working copy and check out a new one.

My working copy of trunk/dports is many years old, has hundreds of uncommitted changes in it that I haven't gotten around to finalizing yet, and probably has every possible Subversion weirdness present in its .svn directories. I fear that if I were to try to upgrade this working copy to 1.7 format that it would fail. One day I will have to either risk that, or take the time to transfer all these pending changes manually to a fresh 1.7-format working copy. Until then I've opted to stay on 1.6.

But when setting up new machines I use 1.7.

> I deleted the repertories, created fresh ones with ‘svn mkdir’ then copied only the respective Portfiles…

Not sure exactly what you mean by "repertories".