Remove alternate worksrcpath

Rainer Müller raimue at macports.org
Mon Mar 5 03:50:06 PST 2012

On 03/05/2012 02:51 AM, Joshua Root wrote:
> On 2012-3-5 04:16 , Rainer Müller wrote:
>> as of MacPorts 1.8 we support using an alternate worksrcpath in
>> ~/.macports for compiling without root privileges. However, some
>> releases later we are now dropping privileges to a separate macports
>> user and using a different home directory to isolate better from
>> external configurations.
>
> Both of these (bar the home dir) came from the same GSoC project,
> interestingly enough.

Yes, it was an idea of the student Paul Magrath and he implemented this
as part of the GSoC project.

>> Therefore I propose to remove this feature completely. Users should
>> either always use sudo or make a separate non-root installation.
>>
>> Please see the attached patch. If there are no objections, I am going to
>> apply this.
>
> I actually like this for testing the destroot phase for new ports, as it
> makes bypassing the destroot and writing directly to the prefix fail. If
> we were to get trace mode fully working again, this should no longer be
> a factor.

To achieve the same we could run the destroot phase as user macports and
only use root if destroot.asroot has been set. Privileges of the root
user should only be required for setting file ownership.

Running destroot with a regular user account reduces the risk of
overwriting any files on the system, but it still might wreck data in
your home directory or anywhere else owned by this particular user account.

Rainer