Remove alternate worksrcpath

Joshua Root jmr at macports.org
Mon Mar 5 10:51:38 PST 2012

On 2012-3-5 22:50 , Rainer Müller wrote:
> On 03/05/2012 02:51 AM, Joshua Root wrote:
>> I actually like this for testing the destroot phase for new ports, as it
>> makes bypassing the destroot and writing directly to the prefix fail. If
>> we were to get trace mode fully working again, this should no longer be
>> a factor.
>
> To achieve the same we could run the destroot phase as user macports and
> only use root if destroot.asroot has been set. Privileges of the root
> user should only be required for setting file ownership.

Sure, this is another approach. I still wouldn't like the feature
removed until there's something or other implemented to replace it. :-)

The semantics of ${phase}.asroot are not desirable for this purpose, as
it actually makes it impossible to run the phase with a non-root
installation. The comments around the elevateToRoot in destroot also say
something about mtree; not really sure what that's about.

It would still be necessary to become root at the very end to chown
everything to ${install_user}:${install_group}.

> Running destroot with a regular user account reduces the risk of
> overwriting any files on the system, but it still might wreck data in
> your home directory or anywhere else owned by this particular user account.

Quite true.

- Josh