www portfiles - inconsistent settings

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Wed May 30 08:58:15 PDT 2012

On May 30, 2012, at 10:44, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:

>> 2) defining doc-root/-path in-/out-side destroot
>>  should they be defined inside or outside ???
>>  I'm tending to outside because of what happens in phpmyadmin
>
> Everything used for installing files should be inside the ${destroot}. If it's a variable for setting the contents of the file then it likely should NOT reference ${destroot}.

I think he means: should the variable be defined inside the destroot { ... } block or outside it? The answer is of course it matters not one whit and is up to the whims of the port maintainer. If a port needs the variable in more than one block, it gets defined as a global outside those blocks (as in the phpmyadmin port). But if a port only needs a variable inside a single block, it's perfectly fine to define it just inside that block.

>> 3) we've got:
>>      /www/${name}
>>      /www/${name}/html
>>      /www/data/${name}
>>      /www/${name}/htdocs
>>  these ought to brought in line.
>>  My suggestion is : /www/${name}/html
>
> Sounds good to me: all ports' files are contained in their own directories, making it easy to alias them into Apache (or nginx or what have you).

I tried to have this discussion some years ago and we did not reach an agreement. Some ports got modified to install into ${prefix}/www/${name} at that time because that seemed to make sense to me. I don't see what purpose adding an additional "html" directory serves.

If standardization is a goal, creating a portgroup might be useful.