GSoC 2013

Clemens Lang cal at macports.org
Sun Apr 14 02:24:21 PDT 2013

On Sat, Apr 13, 2013 at 09:55:01PM +0300, Marius Cotofana wrote:
> I am a big fan of Linux (I recently started to teach some introductory
> courses of Linux) but I got a Mac, a few months ago, installed Linux
> on it and it doesn't feel just right. OSX is just more snappy and
> offers much of the flexibility that Linux has.

Glad you're interested in helping out.

> But there are some things missing. I believe that your project has a
> very important role in making this experience better, also bringing
> open-source software to an area where it is "forbidden".

Contrary to public belief, open source software is often used and
packaged with OS X. A lot of pre-installed software is open-source, e.g.
the compiler toolchain. For legal reasons, Apple doesn't include GPL-3
software with OS X, though.

> The problem is that I do not really have a clue where to begin from,
> so I am asking you for some help to get me started. Also, I have read
> your Ideas for GSoC and was wondering which is the most important at
> this moment ?

The best way to find out what MacPorts lacks is actually using it – so
if you find anything that seems to be solved sub-par in your day to day
usage of MacPorts, consider proposing a project for it, even if it's not
on our ideas page. Other than that there is no real list of priorities
for the ideas – just go through them and pick one that sounds
interesting to you.

--
Clemens Lang