user manuals

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Tue Mar 5 13:47:50 PST 2013

On 06/03/2013, at 1:14 AM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
> It's probably better to create subports that install documentation only.
>
> The original reason these were left off were
> * slowing down an already humongous build cycle (no longer an issue thanks to buildbots)
> * doc building used meinproc4, which routinely crashed and prevented installation (might still be a problem)

Ah, I understand. Well, I think meinproc4 is OK now. Last year I did extensive updates
to some index.docbook files in KDE Games, for the KDE 4.9 and 4.10 releases, and
was able to build and test-proofread them quite easily on a Macbook KDE-dev setup.

meinproc4 is very fast (~ 1 second), so I would suggest the following:

  - Always build the user manual for a KDE port, using the CMakelists.txt file
  - Add a note to the Macports KDE Wiki to show where to find API docs online
  - Discontinue the +docs  variant for KDE ports

My reasons for discontinuing the +docs variant in KDE ports would be:

 - It brings in additional dependencies needed by Doxygen but not by all end-users
 - It acts recursively (if you are not careful or do not know), and could bring in all of
   the Qt doco, which is rather extensive …
- No need for KDE subports ...

What I am suggesting is essentially what Linux distros do, i.e. always supply the
user manual and do not supply the API doco, except perhaps in a -devel binary
package (ie. one with source-code headers for developers to use).

All the best, Ian W.