user manuals

Ian Wadham iandw.au at gmail.com
Wed Mar 6 19:57:02 PST 2013

Hello Marko,

On 06/03/2013, at 9:00 AM, MK-MacPorts at techno.ms wrote:
> On Mar 5, 2013, at 10:47 PM, Ian Wadham wrote:
>> On 06/03/2013, at 1:14 AM, Jeremy Lavergne wrote:
>>> * doc building used meinproc4, which routinely crashed and prevented installation (might still be a problem)
>>
>> Ah, I understand. Well, I think meinproc4 is OK now. Last year I did extensive updates
>> to some index.docbook files in KDE Games, for the KDE 4.9 and 4.10 releases, and
>> was able to build and test-proofread them quite easily on a Macbook KDE-dev setup.
>>
>> meinproc4 is very fast (~ 1 second), so I would suggest the following:
> Ian, actually meinproc4 still *IS* a problem. The buildbots run into it some times, users do too as e.g. issue https://trac.macports.org/ticket/37620 shows.

That's nasty … :-(

I looked at the main.log for ticket 37620, but there is a lot of concurrency and it is hard
to see what is going on.  It's interesting that KMyMoney has two manuals to build, a
Handbook and a man page and both meinproc4's are running at the same time.  Also,
KMM has multiple .docbook files for the Handbook, a header file and a file for each
chapter.  Maybe one of those factors is affecting meinproc4's fate on Apple Mac.

I tried a small script with two meinproc4's in parallel working on two KDE Games
Handbooks.  It worked fine, but it was all over so quickly that I am not sure I got
much concurrency.  Would you like me to clone KMM from
https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/office/kmymoney/repository
and try building it in my development environment?

My "production" copy of KMM (from Macports) is fine.  It built both the Handbook
and the man page OK and displays them OK.  It is version 4.6.3_0, which I
installed on 13 Sept 2012.

> I wished I knew how to avoid any calls to meinproc4 during the build procedure. I think I did everything possible in kmymoney4(-devel)'s ports to avoid building any bit of documentation, but for some reason meinproc4 gets still called. There was no response concerning this on KDE-DEVEL mailing list, unfortunately.
> So, I am clueless as to what else I might try to avoid this endless problem. Debugging is also not really possible, since the crash occurs only spuriously!!! :-(

I guess you tried commenting out the "ADD_SUBDIRECTORY( doc )" line (line 309)
in https://projects.kde.org/projects/extragear/office/kmymoney/repository/revisions/master/entry/CMakeLists.txt
and maybe lines 310-312 or either/both the lines in doc/CMakeLists.txt.

Cheers, Ian W.