introducing Trac_Assigner: a script to automatically assign tickets to their port maintainer

Eric Le Lay elelay at macports.org
Sun Sep 22 11:43:26 PDT 2013

Marko,

thanks for your feedback.

I was confident I could come up with a working script without too much
trouble, having done similar driving of websites in the past.
On the other hand, a plugin for trac required
that it would be installed in macports' infrastructure, tested on a
replica, what have you...
So I've preferred to cover the need first, with
maybe a bit too much traffic
- not so much I think, after a first overhaul of old/missed tickets.

I hope it could be set up as a cron job on some macports server, not run
by every maintainer (no need to: it assigns each and every ticket). This
way, having it run once per day, the resulting traffic would not be
too high.

Another way to curb traffic overflow (if it exists) would be to install
the trac XML-RPC plugin (or is it already installed ?) and let the
script talk to trac this way instead of parsing web pages/posting forms.

Cheer,
Eric