Problem updating git-core

Ryan Schmidt ryandesign at macports.org
Tue Apr 1 22:31:24 PDT 2014

On Apr 1, 2014, at 17:07, Thomas Lockhart wrote:

> On 4/1/14 2:06 PM, Joshua Root wrote:
>> MacPorts uses libcurl, so what happens if you try downloading the file
>> with curl? If it gets stuck, you can probably pass it some debug flags
>> to see what's going on. If not, the definitive tool for debugging the
>> download problem would be wireshark.
> curl (from MacPorts) works first time.

What about curl from OS X (/usr/bin/curl), which is what MacPorts itself will use?

> port is still hanging, with an additional odd behavior on day 3 of this. This afternoon port decided that there were other dependencies of git-core which needed updating too:
>
> $ sudo port install git-core
> --->  Computing dependencies for git-core
> --->  Dependencies to be installed: p5.16-error p5.16-net-smtp-ssl p5.16-io-socket-ssl p5.16-net-libidn p5.16-net-ssleay
>
> where previously p5.12 was being used. I'm sure that there was no recent "port selfupdate" which might have affected this since the last time I tried. Not sure where the state is getting retained (or removed).

If you install a port (e.g. git-core) with “sudo port install", its default variants will be used (in this case, the +perl5_16 variant), whereas if you upgrade an already-installed port with “sudo port upgrade”, your existing variant selections will be retained. Presumably you were previously using upgrade, not install, and your git-core is installed with the perl5_12 variant, either because you requested it or because it was the default some months ago.