Where do I find a good example of a "tests" variant (which is really installing the tests on the system)?

Eric Gallager egall at gwmail.gwu.edu
Fri Apr 11 16:50:27 PDT 2014

On Fri, Apr 11, 2014 at 6:52 PM, <MK-MacPorts at techno.ms> wrote:

> On 21 Mar 2014, at 00:14 , Ryan Schmidt <ryandesign at macports.org> wrote:
> > I'm not aware of any ports that do that, or any tests that are designed
> to work that way.
>
> Only recently I came across the "test phase" which can be defined in a
> portfile.
>
> I've introduced properly running tests for kmymoney4-devel with r118839.
> The user can build and run the tests by using this sequence:
> --
> $ sudo port test kmymoney4-devel +tests
> --

Yeah, I have noticed that my Portfiles with test phases usually end up with
the test phase hidden in a variant like that as well, although in my case
it is usually because there is no way to specify dependencies needed just
for the test phase: https://trac.macports.org/ticket/38208 (which is why I
just stick them in a variant instead)

> Afterwards the user could proceed with
> --
> $ sudo port install kmymoney4-devel +tests
> --
> without the tests actually being installed in the system, which the
> "tests" variant might imply.

The issue for tests not actually being part of the normal install process
is https://trac.macports.org/ticket/42731